Monday, October 31, 2011

Fresh Pumpkin Puree

I only found it fitting to include a pumpkin recipe for Halloween.   This recipe looks like baby food and you can probably use it for that too but I plan on using the puree for pumpkin butter.  You can also use it for pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin pancakes, etc.  I used a sugar pie pumpkin because they are sweet and the texture of the puree becomes very smooth.  

Recipe

Ingredients
1 sugar pie pumpkin

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  

Cut off the stem of pumpkin and cut the pumpkin horizontally in half.  Remove the seeds with a spoon.  Place the pumpkin halves open end down on a baking pan covered with parchment paper.

Roast pumpkin in oven for about 90 minutes.  Take out of the oven and let them cool.  Scoop out flesh with a spoon once it is cooled completely.  Blend the flesh in a food processor or blender.  Use right away or store in fridge.

You have the option for reserving the seeds to make roasted pepitas.


Make sure you use a very sharp knife to cut the pumpkin in half.  I sharpened my knife right beforehand.  A dull knife can be pretty dangerous for a task like this.


When you are done roasting, the pumpkin should look like this.  The flesh should be very soft to touch and easy to scoop out with a spoon.


Blend pumpkin in a blender.  I think a food processor is easier for this task instead of a blender because there isn't a lot of liquid to help the blender blend.  I didn't realize this 'til after I put it all into the blender. 


It is Halloween so I had to include these pictures into the post.  I found a cutie patootie Halloween costume for Gracie at Old Navy.  She is supposed to be a banana split.  When I put it on her, she was not amused at all.  Nope... not at all.  First, she wouldn't lift her head up and then she pretended that she was tired.

 

I think the cherry on her head is so funny!  She is probably wondering why I even do this to her.  Lol.  If only I could go instead her head to see what she is really thinking.

 

Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

Sweet Kat's Creations said...

Aww, Sunny is just like Gracie! He pretends to be tired when he doesn't want to do something too, lol.

Oh Sweet Escape said...

haha.. yeah. they are similar in that way! can't wait for them to meet one day!

DrunkOnShoes said...

omg too cuuuuuuuuuute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...