Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

Yesterday, I found out that Mat and I were on Love and Lavender here and here and today, I found out that we are on SMP.  We're famous!  Not really.  But it is fun to see our pictures up on blogs that I read daily at one point and to see some of our hard work showcased.  =)

Now on to the slow-roasted tomatoes....  This is a fantastic way to eat tomatoes especially now when they are in full season.  GP says that these are a pantry essential and I couldn't agree more.  The roasting process causes the sugars of the tomatoes to caramelize and brings out such a rich flavor.  They taste excellent and I want them in my fridge all the time now.

Recipe
Adapted from My Father's Daughter

Ingredients
Beefsteak tomatoes
Olive oil
Salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.  Slice the tomatoes in 1/2 inch slices.  Rub with a tiny bit of olive oil and a pint of salt and roast seed site up for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until they look nearly sun dried (the edges will be caramelized and the moisture will be almost entirely evaporated).  These keep, well refrigerated in an airtight container with a bit of olive oil, for at least a week, so make a whole bunch at once.

You can use any type of tomatoes for this recipe like vine-ripened or heirloom.  I used beefsteak because that is what I had on hand.  GP uses vine-ripened tomatoes in her cookbook and slices them horizontally in half to roast but I have found that slicing the tomatoes in slices cuts down the roasting time and I like the quicker method better.


After the roasting process, the tomatoes should look like this. 


You can use these tomatoes for pizzas, pastas, sandwiches, tarts, salads, cheese plates, etc.  I was experimenting with them for a tart that I was making. 


I will share my tart recipe once I perfect it.  There are a few tweeks I want to make before I tell you guys the recipe.  

5 comments:

beanya said...

Monica! I read your blog - super cute. Btw, I love roasted tomatoes. You should try it with some balsamic vinegar, garlic and sugar. Let them cool and just top with fresh mozzarella and basil! Roasted caprese!

Oh Sweet Escape said...

thanks christina! your comment made me smile =) i'm totally gonna try that next time!

Gina said...

looks good mon!

Oh Sweet Escape said...

thanks neighbor! we have to do pizza nights one of these days before summer ends! i'll put the tomatoes on it.

Unknown said...

YUM I absolutely LOVE roasted tomatoes! We had some last night in our wheat pasta with a little garlic and olive oil. The tart looks great! I can't wait 'til you share the recipe!

HOORAY for the features! So very exciting!! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...