Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fresh Quick Guacamole

There is an abundance of avocados living in California which I am very thankful for.  I try to make fresh guacamole as often as I can because it is a great healthy snack.  It keeps me really satiated and I love that it has all the good healthy fats in it.  I think that Haas avocados taste the best because they are the creamiest so I always use Haas over other varieties.

Recipe
Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
4 ripe Haas avocados
1 c onion, finely diced
4 to 6 tbs chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice (I used lemon juice from my lemon juice ice cubes... so convenient!)
1 tsp sea salt
Sprinkle of garlic powder

Directions
Cut the avocados in half and pit them and remove the skin
Use a fork to mush the avocados in a medium bowl
Add onion, cilantro, lemon juice, sea salt, and garlic powder

Adjust seasoning to taste


I have found that the best way to remove the avocados from the skin is the run your thumb in between the flesh and the skin as shown in the picture below to the right.  The skin should peel easily off and you should be able to pop the flesh right out.


I like using garlic powder over raw minced garlic because it is more convenient to do so and to help my breath.  My husband appreciates it! 


I have also found that the best way to keep your fresh guac from oxidizing and turning brown is to cover the guac with plastic wrap as shown in the picture below to the right.  Place the plastic wrap over the guac and push out as much air as possible before putting the top on and it into the fridge.  Trust me.  It works.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...