Wednesday, November 16, 2011

McDonald's Style Baked Apple Pie

This recipe is a play on the McDonald's baked apple pies but I put a gourmet twist on it with fresh ingredients.  I was totally craving the little apple pies over the weekend but I always refrain from getting them mainly because I do not know what are in them.  But I did look it up (I'm very nerdy like that) and I found the link here.  The list of ingredients for a baked apple pie is 40+ ingredients long!  Sounds very overly complicated to me and a good chunk of the list is filled with artificial ingredients.  I believe food should be simple.  Here is my recipe for these delicious little snacks.  I made them so I can bring them to work in the mornings and munch on them.



 
2 sheets (1 package) frozen puff pastry, defrosted (Recommended:  Trader Joe's)
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water, for egg wash
4 apples, peeled, de-seeded and sliced (I used a mixture of gala and braeburn apples)
1/2 cup raw cane sugar
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Raw cane sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a saucepan, combine apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt.  Simmer apple mixture on medium heat for 11 to 12 minutes.  Stir frequently.  Cool the apple mixture to room temperature.

Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on a floured board and roll it out to 10 inches by 12 inches.  Place it on a sheet pan and top it with the apple mixture, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge.  Brush the border with the egg wash.

Place the second sheet of puff pastry on a floured board and roll it out to 10 inches by 12 inches.  Place the second sheet of puff pastry on top of filled pastry.  Make sure the line the edges and lightly press down on the edges.  Brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash and with a sharp knife, cut diagonal lines across the pastry for the steam to come out.  Sprinkle the top with additional cinnamon and sugar (maybe 1/4 teaspoon for the cinnamon and 1/2 tablespoon for the sugar...just eyeball it).  

Bake for 15 minutes and rotate the sheet pan half-way through so the pastry evenly bakes.  Cool the pastry on the sheet pan and use a pizza cutter to cut the pastry into wedges.

I used gala and braeburn apples because they are sweet and tart at the same time.  If you use any other kind of apples, adjust the sugar accordingly.  For example, if you use granny smith apples, use more sugar and if you use fuji apples, use less sugar.



I roughly peeled the apples.  I think it makes things look more rustic and homemade.  The fresh lemon juice adds a fantastic zing to the apple pie and balances out the sweet apples. 


When you cook the apples, the liquid will start to come out but don't worry.  The sugary liquid will thicken as the mixture cools to room temperature.  The apples are partially cooked over the stove and finished cooking in the oven.


I love the Trader Joe's puff pastry because it does not contain any trans fat it in or weird artificial ingredients.  Be sure to read your labels for items like puff pastry, pizza dough, pie dough, biscuits, etc.  It is really easy to pick one up with preservatives if you do not read the label (particularly the list of ingredients).  I would also like to mention that puff pastry is definitely one thing I do not make from scratch from the sheer amount of labor.  It is really difficult to make so I will gladly buy it in the freezer section.


This imitation of the McDonald's version tastes awesome.  The puff pastry is light and flakey and the apples inside are beautifully sweet and slightly tart.  I could really taste the freshness from the ingredients.  Don't you wish you were my neighbor?

12 comments:

Cyn said...

Fantastic! I need to try this! MK will love it.

Oh Sweet Escape said...

this recipe is definitely awesome. you have to try it cyn!

Anonymous said...

i love McD's apple pie!!!

Oh Sweet Escape said...

thanks for stopping by jesica!!!

Didi said...

this looks so good! and a lot healthier than McD's! i'm gonna try this recipe, too...

Oh Sweet Escape said...

didi, i didn't mention this in my post but you can defrost the puff pastry by putting it in the fridge overnight. it comes frozen so it takes a full night in the fridge to completely defrost. hope you like it! it is one of my new favs =)

Cherry Blossoms said...

This looks so yummy and I think I will give it a try esp since for no reason what so ever I had a craving for an apple pie from McD's.

PS: Thanks for the sweet words on my blog today. I have officially become obsessed with tutus. Nothing wrong with a lady owning 27 bridesmaid dresses (my favorite movie) so I figured nothing wrong with a little lady having a closet full of tulle! My poor husband! lol

Oh Sweet Escape said...

cherry blossoms, where did you buy bolts of tulle? can i just buy that online? i want to make this for my girlfriends who have daughters and possibly my cockapoo. haha! i hope mine turns out just as well as yours! also, i saw your post for ladybug themed party. one of my best friends is obsessed with ladybugs! i'm gonna have to show her your post.

Jessica said...

Just trying to decide when I'm gonna make this....!

Melissa Marie Head said...

Love this recipe as I love those pies but so bad. I am going to try this for sure.

EGYDONNA said...

Thanks a lot for this healthy receipe , I've been looking for a way to make apple pies without frying them . I really like baking rather than frying .

mcdonalds hours said...

mcdonalds hours
Before visiting the best fast food restaurant Mcdonalds it is always advisable to check its availability. To help you regarding this, we have provided all the Open and Close Times of Mcdonalds both on Holidays and Regular Days. Get to know What time does Mcdonalds Open and What time does Mcdonalds Close by going through deep into the article. Usually, Mcdonalds adjusts its operating schedule during Holidays rather than shutting down completely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...