Friday, October 14, 2011

Galbi Jjim

This is my absolute favorite comfort food.  I think this would definitely be up on there as one of the things I want to eat right before I die list.  That sounds pretty morbid but I do love it that much.  Yesterday, I knew my husband was hard at work (October is a bad month) and I wanted to make him something good to come home to.  That is how I show my love.

Recipe
Adapted from Maangchi
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
2 1/2 lbs beef short ribs
2 1/2 c water
1/2 medium yellow onion, cut into slices
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 1/2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs cooking rice wine
1 1/2 tbs brown sugar
15 small shitake mushrooms
1 1/2 c carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 c Korean radish, peeled and cut into chunks
2 green onions, chopped
2 tbs light corn syrup (look for the one that says no high fructose corn syrup)
1 tbs sesame oil
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Soak the beef short ribs in cold water for at least 30 minutes.  Drain and rinse the cold water out a few times to get out all the little particles and random bits of fat.

Put the beef short ribs in a pot and fill with water (barely covering the ribs).  Bring the pot to a boil for 5 minutes and drain the water.  This will get out the unwanted things that are floating in there.

With the beef short ribs still in the pot, add the water, onion, garlic, soy sauce, cooking rice wine, and brown sugar.  Bring the pot to boil and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes with the lid covering the pot.

Add the shitake mushrooms, carrots, and Korean radish into the bubbling pot.  Simmer on low for 1 hour with the lid partially open.  Stir occasionally.

Turn the heat to high and take off the lid.  Add the light corn syrup, sesame oil, and pepper.  Simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid reduces.  Turn off the heat and garnish with green onions.

Serve this with rice.

I'm not sure why they labeled the beef short ribs as junk.  It is definitely not junk!  It's my favorite part.


I soaked the beef short ribs in cold water.  You may have to cut the beef short ribs so that the bones are separated depending on how you bought them in the first place.  Go to a Korean market to buy them.  They are not the same if you go elsewhere.


The Korean radish is pretty unusual for most people and is also referred to as daikon.  I took a picture of it so you can see.  It is the white boulder of a radish.  You can also easily find it at a Korean market. 


For the cooking rice wine, it is also referred to as michiu. What I should have said in the beginning is you should buy everything at a Korean market because you will find all the ingredients there without having to go to multiple places to get everything. 


This is yummy in the tummy.  I think what makes it so good is that the bones are cooking in the liquid and the flavor from the bones and marrow go into the dish.  It is quite delicious.  This recipe does not taste exactly like my mom's who makes the best galbi jjim in the world but I'm slowly trying to figure her recipe out.  I will share that once I do. 

4 comments:

Misherr said...

Mmm I think I'm going to attempt to make this one day! I love galbi jhim also. :)

Oh Sweet Escape said...

you should! mat at like 75% of this. lol! i'm gonna have to make it again this week. it just disappears in our house.

Sweet Kat's Creations said...

YUM, my fave too! I still have dreams about your mom's kalbi chim *sigh* I think I need to make some soon :)

Oh Sweet Escape said...

kathy, i know! my mom's is still the best. she never measures so i'm gonna have to watch a lot more carefully when i visit her during thanksgiving.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...