Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Spicy Cauliflower Soup

I don't like cauliflower.  I think it has to do with the crumbly texture of it and the smell.  Does anyone else feel that way?  Anyhoo, I got it in my organic produce box a couple days ago and I was determined to make something with it.  I chose soup because of the lovely chicken broth I made the other day.  Please make that at home!  It is so easy and good.

Recipe
Adapted from The Art of Simple Food
Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
1 tsp chile powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp dried chile flakes
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Handful of cilantro springs, coarsely chopped (reserve a little for garnishing)
1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed of green leaves and coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
4 c chicken broth (you can use vegetable broth to make this soup completely vegetarian)
2 c water
Fresh lime juice

Directions
Heat extra virgin olive oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot.

Add onion, carrot, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, chile powder, turmeric, and dried chile flakes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook for 4 to 5 minutes 'til the onions have softened but not browned.

Add cilantro, cauliflower, chicken broth, and water.  Raise the heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the cauliflower is very tender, about 30 minutes.

Stir with a wooden spoon and break down the cauliflower with the wooden spoon.  Taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary, and serve hot.  Garnish with fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro.

I used a mortar and pestle to crush the coriander and cumin seeds.


There I go with the turmeric again!  When you cook it with the carrots and onions, it is what gives the bright yellow color.


I used my olive oil from Zakynthos.

 

The soup doesn't look so bad with the cauliflower.  It is pretty with the red soup base and green cilantro.


I garnished the soup with cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.  Not so bad!  I love the heat in this soup and I love Alice Waters.  I got this recipe from her cookbook and her cookbook is my absolute favorite. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...