Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Curry Chicken Salad

I made a chicken salad with the leftover chicken I had from my homemade chicken broth.  When I make a mayo based salad, I always try to lighten it up by using combo of half mayo and half low fat/non-fat plain yogurt.  You can't really taste the difference other than it tastes lighter.  Whenever I try to make something "healthy," I try not to completely eliminate the fat content.  It will tastes like poo when you do that and I do not recommend it.  A little fat is A-okay. 

Recipe

Ingredients
3 c diced cooked chicken
2 celery stalks diced
1 c seedless grapes halved
1/2 c toasted cashews
1/4 c cilantro finely chopped
1/4 c mayonnaise
1/4 c low fat plain yogurt
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp curry powder
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a big bowl, place the chicken, celery, grapes, cashews, and cilantro.  In a smaller bowl, mix together mayonnaise, plain yogurt, extra virgin olive oil, and curry powder.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toss together with the chicken mixture.


Curry powder contains turmeric.  Turmeric is really, really good for you.  It has anti-inflammatory properties and I even googled it here.  I like to cook with it as often as possible... for example in my tagine, chutney, stew, etc.  My husband doesn't even know what he is eating.  I just put it in his food. 


The chicken salad can be eaten in a sandwich or plain.  I love getting the bites with the grapes.  Add more of them if you like the sweet bite!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...