Monday, October 17, 2011

Superfood Green Smoothie

I was inspired to make this smoothie after having something similar at Raw in Chicago.  When I first had it, I loved the smoothie and then I realized that I could just make it at home so that is where this recipe came from.  I also noticed that the owner of Raw has amazing skin!  She was glowing...like seriously glowing.  I want to have what she has so I have been making them for me and Mat for breakfast.  Multiply this recipe accordingly if you want to make a bigger batch.

Recipe
Makes 1 serving

Ingredients
1 banana
1/2 tbs chia seeds
1 c grapefruit juice

Directions
Blitz in a blender and serve cold.

The ingredients of this recipe are definitely on the pricier side like the chia seeds and spirulina.  I found the chia seeds at Whole Foods and found that it is best to buy the spirulina online.  After seeing the prices of the ingredients, no wonder this smoothie is on the expensive side.  It is usually $7 for a 16 oz drink if you buy it.


I love pre-making these and putting them in mason jars.  When I'm ready to drink it, I take it out of the fridge, give it a little shake, and drink out of it with a straw.  The grapefruit juice tastes great in this!  It gives the smoothie a little bitterness to balance the sweet banana. 

3 comments:

Dandelion and Grey said...

Monica! I just bought Spirulina and Chia Seeds so I can make this!! LOVE your recipes :)

Oh Sweet Escape said...

erin, your mom has been looking at my green smoothie in the mornings with a weird look at her face! LOL! it is pretty hilarious! also just so you know, the chia seeds taste a little gelatinous when they sit in liquid for 30 mins or so but it tastes fine. let me know how you like it! =)

Diamond Blender said...

Simple, clean and informative.... Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...