Friday, May 27, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

I don't think I ever really appreciated huevos rancheros 'til I moved to California.  Now it is one of my favorite brunch items to order at restaurants and I decided to recreate it at home.  I had most of the ingredients from dinner earlier this week so I decided to make breakfast for dinner.  I loved how easy this was to make.... it is basically just assembling ingredients. 

My husband was coming home really late from work so I made this as a dinner for 1 but there were enough black beans to make 2 more servings (so a total of 3 servings).  And, you might notice that my cooked black beans comes from a plastic ziploc bag that I labeled.  Yes, I figured out the old school method of how to cook my own beans rather than buying the beans from a can because it's way cheaper, without any additives that they put in canned beans, and I conveniently store them in plastic ziploc bags in the freezer and pull them out when I need them. I will have to show that at a another time.  =)

Huevos Rancheros Recipe

Mix 1 cup of cooked black beans with:
1/8 tsp of cumin and salt to taste
Heat the beans in a microwave for 30 secs to a 1 min (just enough to get them warm)



For a perfectly cooked sunny side up egg, heat non-stick pan on medium heat with:
1 tsp of canola oil
Crack an egg onto hot pan (the egg should sizzle and begin to turn opaque)
Turn the heat to low and season with salt and pepper
Let the egg sit on pan for 4 to 5 mins 'til the egg whites around the yolk have turned from clear to opaque

Toast blue corn tortilla on a non-stock pan on medium high heat with a little bit of canola oil


Now it's time to assemble.

Put toasted tortilla on the plate, put a couple spoons full of black beans on top, and then place the egg on top of it.

Add any toppings you like!  I added what I like....
Sliced avocado
Salsa
Chopped fresh cilantro



 I love the different colors in this picture!


I also love a good runny egg... one of my favorite things to eat!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...