Thursday, June 9, 2011

Basil Pesto and How to Freeze It

My husband loves pesto so I love to have it on hand to add to pastas, grilled chicken, veggies, or make pesto mayo to add to sandwiches.  Making pesto is super easy.  I use a food processor to make pesto instead of a mortar and pestle for the convenience.

Recipe
Adapted from Alice Water's Recipe
Makes about 3 cups

Pick leaves from: 
   a bunch of basil, to yield about 2 cups of lightly packed basil
Roughly chop 
   2 garlic cloves
 Toast
   1/2 cups of pine nuts
Grate
  1/2 cups of Parmesan cheese
Put all the basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and salt in the food processor and pulse a couple times.
Slowly add 
   1 cup of extra virgin olive oil while pulsing mixture in food processor.
Adjust salt to taste

Please note:  If you plan on freezing the pesto, omit the Parmesan cheese.  Add when you are ready to serve the pesto.  The cheese can change textures when you freeze it and I do not recommend it.


Keep an eye on the saute pan when you are toasting the pine nuts.  They burn really easily!  I usually stand by with a spatula and stir the pine nuts around 'til they are lightly toasted.



Toasting the pine nuts give the pesto a great flavor. 




I always buy my olive oil at Costco!  I love Costco for items I use all the time like olive oil.





Since I am freezing my pesto, I did not add any cheese to it.  I put the pesto in a ziploc container and wrote a little note for myself so I know how much cheese to add when I'm ready to use it and when I made it.  I will try to use it within 2 months.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE pesto, but I've never made it! This looks delicious!

We missed you at the shoot- Greg and I had to awkwardly model ;]

Hope Napa was great! xoxo

Oh Sweet Escape said...

LOL! Honestly, being models for a shoot is not easy as easy as it looks. I really can't wait to see how the inspiration board transpired into the shoot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...