Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cherry Tomato and Corn Salad

One of my good girlfriends gave me cherry tomatoes from her mother in law's garden and they were seriously some of the best of mother nature.  The cherry tomatoes were so sweet that they tasted like candy.   Over the weekend, I tried to eat them raw so that I could enjoy just how sweet and juicy they were and last night, I decided to mix them in a corn salad.  This salad is such a crowd pleaser.  I've made it for various get togethers at our house and it's a great side for bbq's and potlucks.

Recipe
Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
6 ears of corn, shucked
3 c cherry tomatoes halved
1/2 medium red onion finely chopped
12 julienned basil leaves
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 tbs red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Ingredients
Boil a big pot of water.  Prepare an ice bath.  Put the corn in the boiling water and boil for 3 to 4 minutes.   Place the cooked corn in the ice bath to cool.  See here for a little tutorial I put together in a past post.

Trim the corn kernels off of the cob by holding the corn steady on the cutting board and using a sharp knife to cut off the kernels.

In a bowl add corn, cherry tomatoes, red onion, and basil.

For the dressing, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.   Add to the corn and cherry tomato mixture and toss together.

I loved these little guys especially the orange ones.  I wish I could garden.  I'm just super allergic to everything including soil.... makes me sad.


This is so simple and good.   You have to try this one!

8 comments:

beanya said...

Monica! Have you tried eating RAW CORN? It's really, really delicious, especially in salads. It is sweet and super creamy. You should try it :)

Oh Sweet Escape said...

no i haven't! i usually blanch my corn for a little bit in boiling water. thanks for the suggestion! =) i will totally try it next time!

Cyn said...

I made corn salad last night too! No pics though, because my battery ran out. Haha

Oh Sweet Escape said...

corn salad is the best =) it's been harder to take pics after work because the sun goes down so fast. i'm sad that the summer is gone! it's like a race now to finish a dish fast as possible.

kawang1 said...

so funny, I have the same corn salad recipe! Except my don't have the cherry tomatoes. Avocado is very yummy with this combo too.

Oh Sweet Escape said...

karen, yes i totally agree! avocado would be really good in this salad.

Misherr said...

I said the same thing about the orange ones too, tastes like candy! Btw ben's mom said the orange ones she didn't plant, it just came out of no where next to the red ones. Lucky huh? Btw I love corn salad, this looks sooo good. I'm drooling!

Oh Sweet Escape said...

misherr, that is so weird! the orange ones were to die for. i put the leftover tomatoes that we couldn't finish and made a tomato sauce for pasta. i want a tomato plant now! i didn't realize they could taste like that!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...