Monday, September 19, 2011

Steak Sandwich with Tomato Chutney and Yogurt Dressing

I cannot believe it's Monday already.  It has definitely been one of those weekends that I felt like I didn't have a weekend!   I feel like I'm in a daze...  On the brighter side, I'm sharing this sandwich recipe with you today.  It can be for lunch or dinner.  It's very hearty and has fun flavors from the tomato chutney I shared last week and yogurt dressing.  I really enjoy red meat and I always crave steak every now and again.  For this sandwich, I used a flank steak which is a very lean.  It is a cheaper cut of meat and I have learned one of the best ways to treat less expensive cuts of beef is to sear it on both sides with a really hot pan and let the meat rest so the juices redistribute.

Recipe
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
Canola oil
1 lb flank steak
1 c plain yogurt
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs Italian parsley finely chopped
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Tomato chutney
Green leaf lettuce chopped into bite-size pieces
Store-bought flat bread


Directions

Heat the griddle to medium high with a little bit of canola oil (about 1 tbs).  Season the steak with salt and pepper.  When the griddle is smoking hot, place the steak on it and don't touch.  Sear meat for about 3 minutes.  The hot cooking surface should create a crust on the meat so when you are pulling the meat up, the meat should not stick on to the cooking surface.  If it is sticking, let the meat cook for an additional 30 secs to 1 minute and try again.   Sear the other side of meat for 3 minutes.  Let the meat rest on a cutting board for 8 to 10 minutes.

To make the yogurt dressing, mix yogurt, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and parsley together in a jar.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Lay out flat bread on a plate and add lettuce, steak, chutney, and yogurt dressing.


I always label my mason jars so I know what I made and when I made it.  Otherwise, it's really easy to lose track of things.


It is really important to let the meat rest after it is seared on both sides.  Let it rest for about 8 to 10 minutes.  I sliced the meat across and you can see that it's nice and juicy since I did let the meat rest and the juices redistribute.  Perfectly medium rare.


The cool yogurt dressing pairs really well and mellows out the sweet tangy chutney.  It's savory from the steak and fresh from the green leaf lettuce and yogurt.  Don't you wish you had this packed in your lunch today?  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...