Friday, September 30, 2011

Simple Cherry Tomato Pasta

Yesterday was one of those days I didn't feel like doing anything.  I didn't want to go to work, commute, walk my dog, nothing.... it was just one of those days.  However, I still had to eat something and make sure that there was something to eat when my husband came home from work so I made this very fast.  As soon as you are done boiling the pasta, toss with the ingredients, and you are done.  I used the thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta so it cooks extra fast.  It took me about 15 minutes.

Recipe
Makes about 3 to 4 servings

Ingredients
6 to 8 ounces thin whole wheat spaghetti (about 1/2 a box)
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 c cherry tomatoes
1/2 c grated Parmesan Reggiano
2 tbs preserved meyer lemons minced (I linked a recipe for the preserved lemons here)
6 to 7 basil leaves julienned
Pasta water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Boil salted water in a medium saucepan.  Add the pasta and cook according to the directions on the box.

While the pasta is cooking, put olive oil and cherry tomatoes in a separate saucepan over medium heat and lightly season with salt and pepper.  Smash the cherry tomatoes down with a spatula or potato masher.  Cook the cherry tomatoes for about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the cooked pasta directly into the cherry tomatoes. Grate the Parmesan Reggiano directly on top of the pasta and toss.  Then, add the preserved meyer lemons (you can just add lemon zest too if you do not have this easily available), basil, and a few tablespoons of the pasta water.  Season with salt and pepper.



I usually work with the pots side by side so I can just add the pasta directly into the saucepan with tongs.  Also, preserved lemons are awesome.  I think they are magic.  They make any dish taste delicious with the perk of lemon.



G, if you are reading this, do you recognize your potato masher?  I will return it back to you.... I promise!


I tossed the Parmesan Reggiano in the pasta first because I wanted the cheese to stick to the pasta.


Add the other ingredients and toss.

 

Add grilled chicken in here if you like and/or an extra grating of cheese for serving.  I converted my husband into eating vegetarian most days so he doesn't mind the absence of meat for dinner.

1 comment:

Dandelion and Grey said...

This looks great Monica!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...