Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Detoxing with Soup

I made this soup this week for my husband and me and it was so much tastier than I ever imagined veggies, some herbs, and a little spice would do!  I adapted this recipe from Alice Water's carrot soup recipe from The Art of Simple Food (this is my absolute favorite cookbook).  And it was just what I needed after a weekend of gluttony.  I think it's important to balance things like wine and bacon covered dates out with some healthy goodness that is exactly what my body is really craving.

My take on Alice's recipe....

Heat in a cast iron dutch oven:
A couple tbs of olive oil
Add:
2 onions, sliced or diced
A sprinkle of cayenne pepper (slightly more if you like spicy but don't overdo this one)
Cook over medium-low heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add:
2.5 pounds of carrots, peeled and sliced (about 6 cups)
Season with:
Salt
Cook for 5 minutes.  Cooking the carrots with the onions for a while builds flavor.
Add:
6 cups vegetable broth
Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.  When done, season with salt to taste.
Add:
A handful of cilantro
Puree with an immersion blender.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...