Monday, June 27, 2011

Lemon Parmesan Spaghetti

I am plowing through my new cookbook and going through the recipes that seem the easiest.  And this one was super easy and really delicious!  I couldn't believe how good the fresh lemon zest flavor was with the Parmesan and basil.  This is a perfect dish to make extra and take with you to work the next day for lunch.

Recipe
From My Father's Daughter and I added minor notes
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients
3/4 pound (3/4 box) spaghetti (I used whole wheat thin spaghetti)
Coarse salt
1 lemon
1 1/2 cups finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 3 1/4 ounces), plus extra for serving (I used a coarser grater)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
3 to 5 tbs of past water, to thin
Handfull fresh basil leaves (from 4 leafy stems)

Directions
Boil the spaghetti in salted boiling water, according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, using a Microplane, grate the zest from the lemon into a large mixing bowl.  Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into bowl.  Add the 1 1/2 cups Parmesan, pepper, and a pinch of salt, and mix in the olive oil to form a wet paste.

When the spaghetti is perfectly cooked, add 2 or 3 tablespoons of the cooking water to the lemon and cheese mixture.  Add the spaghetti to the bowl and toss thoroughly, adding another tablespoon or 2 of pasta water if necessary so that the sauce coats each strand.  Roughly tear in the basil leaves.

Serve each portion with a sprinkle of coarse salt, a fresh grind of black pepper, and a few gratings of extra Parmesan.



I used a coarse grater for the parmesan cheese instead of a fine grater.  I still loved the pasta just the same!


I didn't feel the need to add extra Parmesan here.  It tasted yummy without the extra.  I can totally see myself making this pasta dish again and again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...