Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pizza Party - Part 3 Proscuitto Pizza

I always get inspired for different pizzas from my favorite pizza places such as Pizzeria Mozza in LA or Pizzeria Delfina in SF (the Mission location is the best).  When I go there, I try to remember the components of a pizza and recreate it at home.  It totally brings back the memory of first biting into that pizza all over again.  This is my take on a proscuitto pizza.  I wanted to create the same savory, salty, fresh flavors with the cheese, proscuitto, and arugula but for me, the pizza was missing the sweet component.  That's where the caramelized onions come into play.  A little bit goes a long way so I dotted the pizza with little bits of caramelized onions to balance the flavors.  You don't get the sweet bite all the time but just sometimes which ends up being sorta perfect.

Recipe

Ingredients
Pizza dough
Olive oil infused with garlic and red pepper
Freshly grated Fontina cheese
Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Caramelized onions
Baby arugula
Proscuitto

Directions
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Roll out pizza dough on floured board and place on baking pan covered with parchment paper.  Brush olive oil over pizza dough.  Add cheeses and caramelized onions to pizza dough.  Bake in oven for 6 minutes.  The crust should turn lightly brown and the cheeses should fully melt.  Add baby arugula and proscuitto on top.


I kinda overdid it on the cheese.  Actually not kinda... I did.  Can you tell?  It tasted awesome anyway though.  I sprinkled the caramelized onions throughout the pizza.


The dough should bubble and blister in the very hot oven.  The fresh baby arugula and proscuitto is added as soon as the pizza comes out of the oven.


The different layers of flavors marry so well together.  Life doesn't get much better than this.

2 comments:

Sweet Kat's Creations said...

That seriously looks like the perfect slice of pizza.

vicki said...

omg mons looks soooOO good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...